Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pandemonium Pale Ale Cornbread


As promised yesterday, here is the recipe for the cornbread I made to go along with our Mole Ocho Chili last weekend.  Seth told me his mom used to make a pretty mean cornbread recipe when he was younger, so I knew the recipe I came up with was going to have to be pretty darn good.  With so much at stake, I felt I could not face this challenge alone, so I turned to The Wench for a little help.

The verdict?  He told me it's the best cornbread he's ever had.  I'd have to say I agree.  Although, I have to admit that I'm a little nervous saying that, because I know a lot of variations exist when it comes to cornbread (Northern style tends to be sweetened with sugar, while Southern style generally does not contain any sugar) and some people take those variations very seriously.  So, if you're a true Southerner, please do not shudder at the fact that this recipe contains sugar -- I promise it's not that sweet.  And give me a break, I am from Michigan, after all.

And just in case you needed further evidence that everything really is better with beer, throw some in your next batch of cornbread (even if it's not this recipe), and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  Like the Celis Raspberry Pancakes I made back in July last year, the beer gives the cornbread a perfectly light, fluffy texture, while adding just a perfect amount of tang.

For this recipe, you will need:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained (optional)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Short's Pandemonium Pale Ale
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.


In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and beer.


With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don’t overmix!  Add the corn, if desired.


Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares.


Serve with remaining beer and a batch of Mole Ocho Chili!

6 comments:

Bowlf said...

Fiesta!

Laura said...

¡Olé!

Bowlf said...

Made this today. So good.

mestorey said...

Hi Laura,

I wanted to know if it would be possible to feature this recipe on CraftBeer.com?

I would create a post similar to this one: http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/recipes/recipes-list/show?title=pumpkin-ale-profiteroles-with-cinnamon-caramel-sauce and include your bio/photo/link to the Michigan Beer Blog

Please let me know if this would be ok, or if you have any questions! Meghan

Laura said...

Meghan, I am so sorry, but I did not see this until just now. Please feel free to use the recipe (with our bio/photo/link) if you are still interested! Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

The NFL Flag for Tennessee Titans is viewable from both sides with the opposite side being a reverse image.Fly this flag with any of our tailgate poles or 6' aluminum flagpoles and adjustable flag brackets.nfl house flags
nfl flags wholesaleHouston Oilers stars and stripes flags
Miami Dolphins bannersnfl flags and banners,
ncaa flags and banners,
college football flags,
Sports flags and banners,

Post a Comment

This website and its content is copyright of Seth and Laura Porter - Michigan Beer Blog - © Michigan Beer Blog 2010. All rights reserved.

Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
1. You may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only.

2. You may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material.

You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

 
Powered by Blogger